Sunday, June 27, 2010

Free Range Kids

I love this site.

I discovered it at least a year ago, when someone somewhere I don't remember posted a link and I realized that I had become a helicopter mom to the triplets. I had NOT been with the older kids, in fact I have to confess I used to mock the helicopters!

I decided to start by NOT walking the kids to the bus stop on the corner (one house away). My excuse reason for walking them had always been that they would be poking each other right into the street. Well, that's what I was afraid of anyway. By this time they were 7 or 8 and I decided it was time to teach them and trust them.

I did start slow - first I walked to the ditch and waited till the bus left. Then I gradually lengthened the distance between us until I was on the porch watching. Finally one day I had to help their brother with something and just hollered "goodbye, have a great day" as they went out the door. By the time I walked out the bus was gone.

It was a little bittersweet. We had fun at the bus stop. My family blog is full of cute stories of conversations we had and how we would watch the anthill and the bird nests in the magnolia tree. But actually they still notice these things and tell me about them at home.

Of course it didn't help matters that around this time there was a story of an abduction at a bus stop. Did I freak out? Yeah! But the fact is, I can't hover over them "just in case". I can't protect them from everything. I can let go without getting stupid about it.

There are many other things people do that I think are overkill and unnecessary. Booster seats till the age of 10, for one. The law here is 6, and I thought THAT was overkill!

So I'm really curious what other people think of that site and its ideas. I have friends that I'm sure would think it's totally insane. What are some ways you "let go" that other people may think are crazy? Or the opposite? I would like to hear them. No judgment on any replies. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am an avowed "free range kid" parent. My kids (GASP) play in the yard unattended. They play in the driveway without supervision and (ooo aaaahh) have been known to be dropped off at the movies without a parent at the tender age of 10.

These were all things I grew up with and all the kids in my neighborhood turned out fine. Well ... not all of them but that wasn't an issue with supervision. I want my kids to be able to have free access to fun and their environment. Don't get me wrong, I am not negligent. We have an adult babysitter for the after school hours and don't leave them home alone before they can handle it. We also restrict the TV, game systems and computers. Surprised? Funnily enough they don't give me a hard time ... because they are OUTSIDE PLAYING! Oh, I have to encourage them, but no punishment is needed. A jump rope and new bouncyballs will produce louder squeals of delight than a DVD.

Walking to the bus stop - no problem. Teach your kids to be responsible, expect them to make the right decisions, and they will. Over protect them, shelter them, and what are you really giving them in the long run?