Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Things we Do for our Kids.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately as I find myself doing more and more stuff I may not particularly like, "for the kids". I've been working at Cub Scout day camp all week; a few weeks ago it was Girl Scout day camp. Moms like me (you know, the ones with "SUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" written across our foreheads in big, red letters) must be a dying breed, since both camps were desperate for volunteers (much less Queens of the Suckers like me who were willing to work ALL WEEK).

Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE doing these things. I really do pretty much like them. But I won't miss them when the kids grow out of the activity.

Last night as I told Hubby about my day he asked me WHY I do this if I hate it so much? I will admit, there was some bitching going on, but I didn't think it was all bad. Anyway, the answer was "for the kids". He thought the kids could still do day camp even if I didn't. I pointed out that they are begging for helpers to begin with and that all the other parents have wussed out and make excuses. Wimps! Yeah, let me tell you how I really feel, LOL!

Someone DOES have to do it, and I've learned to say no to a lot of stuff. I don't teach Sunday School, or work in the nursery, or direct VBS, or head up the neighborhood whatever campaign, or serve on the PTA, or serve lunch to the homeless. I am not the room mom. I am not the team mom. I am not the head of the class reunion committee. I do not make ANY phone calls whatsoever, or coach Little League. I don't watch other people's kids, except in extreme emergency. I am not the one to call if you need a substitute in your classroom. Frankly I am not the person to call if you need anything. I will almost always tell you no.

Put out a general cattle call though, letting everyone know what you need, and having the option to call YOU is how it happens with me.

I do go on field trips, and I drive the instruments on band trips, and I do Scouts. I do Scouts because I believe in Scouts, and because someone has to do it. So I am the Brownie leader basically because I HAD to be. But I can say no, too; when they tried to triple the size of my troop last week I put my foot down and told them that it's time for some OTHER Mom to step up and lead so their daughter can have a troop. I did it, so can you. My troop is full, and registration is closed, thank you/drive thru!

Whatever. The fact is I do enjoy Scouts. I have almost no patience for other people's kids, but I do take endless pleasure in my own. So as long as they are into it I will do it for them (reserving the right to bitch about it to my husband if I so choose!).

No comments: